Wednesday, March 14

Sunset Park & Brooklyn Chinatown

Two weekends ago I went to visit my friend Lizzayat down in Sunset Park neighborhood.  For those playing at home, that's pretty far southward in BK.

I'd only been there once when I first met Bridget and she was subletting near the Brooklyn Chinatown district, so I figured it was time to get back and actually spend an afternoon jaunting around the area.  Best of all, I had a guide this time!  Lizzayat is from Kazakhstan and met my friend Alex over there while he was involved in Peace Corps.  She's studying English in NYC for a few months and gave a wonderful tour along with her friend Kobe (who had the inside scoop on Chinatown since he's part of the well-established Chinese community there).   First stop: Sunset Park's Hilltop -- the highest point in the city!  The view of lower Manhattan as well as most of Brooklyn from that hill is pretty great, and although I didn't capture her - the Statue of Liberty looks like a giantess on the far shore.
The view from Sunset Park Hill.

Lizzayat and I in the chilly wind.

Someone's alterations to this public sign made James and I laugh --  apparently they're just as much opposed to high city taxes as to soccer.  I hope they manage to find a way to play American Football on that there field.
Brooklyn Chinatown!  Flaunting a more authentic feel, perhaps, with very little English on signs and lots of fishy products sold live (or dead but artfully posed).

Those silver bellied ones are Sardines!

Eels!  Eek!

Sugar Cane: it's chewed in pieces, not used for cooking generally.


Bubble tea time!  My favorite time of day.
True to its name, we got a Sunset out of the deal!  √

No comments:

Post a Comment