Tuesday, September 11

Tornado Camping

We went camping for Sam's birthday this past weekend, smack dab in the middle of tornado warnings over the city.  Escaping the twister touchdown zone was not only a fantastic avoidance technique; it also led to one truly memorable overnighter in the woods.

The campsite:  Clarence Fahenstock State Park
The transportation:  Party van (Alex, myself, Sam, Amandrew, and Sasha) and One Slick Bike (Maddy & Ryan's new ride)
The nature:  Top-notch: a great campground with green moss and swampy woodlands and hills to hike and trees tall enough to shake when the fallout winds made their way to us.
The food:  Gourmet.  Firepit pizza, pasta salad, morning pancakes with banaboats to boot.
The weather:  A rollercoaster of sunshine, rain, torrential downpouring + lightning, and then drizzly-to-dry again.   Not a single one of us could be miserable, having gotten out of the city specifically for a dose of the elements.
My preparation:  Subpar.  I slept in wet sheets, having not checked the forecast at all.  Next time, I'll be a better scout.  I'll also be investing in a rainjacket.
Drew's fire skills:  Excellent.  That little flamepit survived EVERYTHING.  I'd say he earned his badge.
The marshmallow record:  8 at once.  Good going, Alex!
The moral of the story:  I love my friends and the adventures we're lucky enough to have.  I think it's safe to say Sam got us hooked on camping and we'll all be seeing how often we can do this as fall rolls in.

Happy faces after a quick spat.

Hello, ferns.
Highway to the Camping Zone.

Happy Birthday, Sammy P!
Extreme Camping: the downpour chapter.




Clearly the work of an Eagle Scout.


...to perfection.


Toasted...

pals 

A morning view worth pausing for.


Pancake bake!


No comments:

Post a Comment