Fall is here! The brooding skies are bringing it in swiftly, and I'm definitely glad to layer-up and forget how to break a sweat for a few months. It's looking to be a rainy one, too, so here's hoping the sidewalks get a good washdown.
Farmer's market at Union Square
My past few weeks have been heavy on work projects, both for Never Odd or Even and College Humor, and more concerts than I can shake a backstage pass at. I honestly have no intention of turning this blog into a music journalist's resource, but I've had some great times circumventing show lines and at least have to jot about them for my memory's sake.
Bon Iver at Radio City Music Hall
After I saw Brian off on September 19th, I went to work for the afternoon and then hopped the train to Radio City Music Hall for Bon Iver. Sebastian had VIP access lined up, so not only did we get to enjoy free drinks and a fancy cheese platter in the exclusive Roxy Lounge before the show; we also sat with Justin Vernon's (Bon Iver) brother and manager and then caught the last few songs from side-stage. Radio City is a fancy place without the extra perks, so needless to say, it was a great night.
Bon Iver and his amazing stage decor
The next week I got to hang out with more music industry insiders at the Two Door Cinema Club show in Williamsburg. Before the show started, we were standing by the bar and a guy I instantly recognized as the frontman of Delta Spirit walked up and started chatting with Sebastian and I. It turns out they're on a whiffle ball team together and Sebastian was part of the crew that's been promoting Delta Spirit since the get-go.
Matt Vasquez is his name and he ended up being the nicest, most down-to-earth guy imaginable. We talked about Disneyland and his trip to Norway (he recently married a girl from Norway and is madly in love with her) as well as why his softball team doesn't yet have matching uniforms. It's so surreal meeting someone you're a huge fan of, and who is on regular rotation on your speakers, in an entirely casual and friendly way. Definitely a highlight of the week. After the show, the whole group of music schmoozers and promoters went out to celebrate one of their buddy's birthdays and this is approximately how they did that:
Music people. What can I even say? I guess I can say that I've been pleasantly surprised at how friendly and approachable everyone I've met has been. If I brought a stranger to a film industry party, I'm not sure they'd get the warm welcome I've gotten at all of these events. Maybe it's the shots.
This past week, I worked hours upon late-night hours to prove to Eve that I'm committed to her company's success, but on Monday, got the cold chill of a Jury Duty Summons, threatening to derail everything. I was selected to serve on a trial that begins October 11th, and normally I'd be excited to get back to my Youth & Legislature roots and serve up a verdict, but I'm afraid of missing any more work. I've tried calling the appropriate numbers to see if one of the alternates can take my place so I don't cause Eve's company financial duress (not to mention myself -- JD only pays $40/day -- that's not enough to quite cover a nap on a New York sidewalk), but no luck yet. All that aside, I have to admire the grandeur of our Kings County facilities. Nothing quite speaks to the pillars of justice like these giant pillars of stone.
Historic Kings County Courthouse
The somewhat less glorious building from which we will actually judiciate.
On Friday, Aaron Hernandez popped into town. We raced to Terminal 5 too late to catch Eagles of Death Metal but just in time for one of his favorite acts, Afghan Wigs. They're a band straight out of the 90's and have decided to tour for unknown reasons this year. Perhaps they'd all gotten bored with their side projects. Whatever the reason, I was basically a zombie on my feet at that point and fought my way through their two-hour set, wandered to Times Square so Aaron could see it at night, and then got us both back into BK in two pieces. The show didn't hold much appeal to me, but there was this great Beer Man wandering the crowd and saving all of us packed sardines trips to the bar. Brilliant, I say.
Beer Man brings the smiles!
Aaron is T-Squared!
Growing up BK
Fall scenes around the neighborhood
I found my dream car parked outside Ryan and Maddy's house.
No comments:
Post a Comment