Thursday, October 11

Frazzle Dazzle

This morning I'm stuck in a jurors holding room, waiting to make my own case to the judge about how it'd be really great if she or he could assign one of the alternate jurors to take my place so I can get back to my hustlin'.   There's a lot that needs done this week at Never Odd or Even, and Eve and I have been working extra hours every day and on weekends just to keep on-top of the projects.

On Sunday night, Eve had e-mailed me to talk about our current arrangement.  In her stress over money and time and because my animation skills are (her guess) around six months out from being solidly billable to clients, it was looking like our trial might not pan out.  But, on Monday afternoon, after we'd talked for a bit about where to go from here (with us deciding I'd finish out this week and then we'd part ways unless I wanted to stay on for $50/day - a huge paycut and not a livable wage in New York), I received an e-mail from my friend Lauryn, who is a producer/director.  She's helming a promotion job for YouTube's new production facilities in LA and wondered if Never Odd or Even would be interested in creating the graphics for the sizzle video.  So that's how I accidentally brought in a Google job.  Really, the credit goes to Lauryn, but I suppose that's how these connections work -- Lauryn and I met at Mantra back in spring and I introduced her to Eve at a happy-hour meetup.  Fast-forward months later --  she thought of us and decided our style was perfect for this project.

Yesterday we had our conference call with the production team and I think we'll be going ahead with the project.  We also had a conference call with this new company called forked.  They're looking to boost their brand's visibility and are only a year into business and growing rapidly.  The great thing about branding for start-ups is that as they grow, the hope is we can continue doing all aspects of branding and get more involved in media production for them as well.  With all of these new jobs in the pipeline, Eve reconsidered her decision and we're now fully forging ahead for the next three weeks with me acting as designer and secondary animator, and after the Museum of Science & Industry project wraps up its second design phase, we'll figure out what my future at Never Odd or Even looks like.  Maybe this is just how long it takes to hit a stride -- I'm really not sure.  It does seem like Eve is super happy with my design work, which is all I want, really.  I aim to please, and to help her grow this company if I can.  I suppose we'll see...in three weeks approximately.

Earlier this week, when I did think I was going to be back at the job-hunt immediately, I stayed up all night redesigning my resumé.  I may have gone too far, because there's a fine line between embracing the fact that you work in the creative arts and looking like an employable, stable human being on paper.  But, maybe with some finessing I'm on to something.

























I'd really love to show some of the work we've been up to lately because it's fantastic and fun - but I suppose I'll hold off for just a bit because nobody likes a spoiler.  

Tonight I'm going to the movies, armed with Jujufruits, to see a horror film with my friend Jay and his pals.  A little fright-fest is just what I need after my bus was severely late this morning (my usual anxiety levels were surpassed by quite a bit as I worried about being held in contempt of court for tardiness), my lunch exploded in my backpack, and my phone has gone missing somewhere in my bed sheets.  I have a feeling tomorrow will be a piece of cake after all this, and now if you'll excuse me -- I have a judge to see about an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment