Sunday, February 24

Everything Else

With that can crushed, here's EVERYTHING ELSE!

Freelance

Tiffany's
In the midst of many nights with unexpected after-hours work from my day job, I got the chance to do the next round of design for Tiffany's 2013 Spring Collection.  I put together three looks for them and they ended up picking the one that I liked best, too - it was an Art Nouveau approach that came out of nowhere and ended up looking just a dash like vintage book illustration or wallpaper.

Look 01 - Coney Island Summer (archival photos, hand-painted in photoshop, watercolor-effects and Tiffany's Blue)
Look 02 - Featuring a vector trace of the original art-deco floor pattern found in Tiffany's 57th street
store and used in the new ads for The Great Gatsby film (for which Tiffany's produced a number of accessory pieces).  
Look 03 - final, with daisies by request.  I loved that this one mixed modern spiny-architectural shapes (which are
way too in vogue right now) with classic 1920's inspired softer patterns and archival elements.  Fun stuff!


Prank Calls for Charles Rogers
This show animation may be ongoing for a while, as the original composer dropped out and the timing will ultimately be adjusted for a score, but it's been a fun and challenging way for me to use some of the new tricks I learned working with Eve.
No, I did not make this poster.  Yes, I did steal it from the internet.

A coupla College Humor sketches
I created a National Punching Association logo for this sketch in a few hours one weekend and the end animation for this e-Bromance sketch:



Easy jobs like these are the best freelance fodder. √

Meanwhile, I had a couple of things on deck that could have been/might still be interesting and fun:


  • My friend Megan Myers recommended me to Uptown Pilates for a job redesigning some of their collateral (like gift cards) in a very creative way, though my rate ended up being more than they were able to spring at the moment.  They did say they'd love to work together in the future on a higher budget project and they were so nice via e-mail that I'd definitely love that.


  • Then, this past Monday, I got an e-mail from a company looking to promote a graphic novel at Comic Con's across the country, starting with Chicago's this April.  The amazing thing is, I'm not sure how they found me - but what they want is completely in my wheelhouse and would be such a fun thing to be part of.  I calculated the hours and am waiting to see if they go for my asking rate. 
I suppose I'm reaching this point of critical mass with my freelance work.  A part of me is considering whether it's time to go full-freelance, though the other part of me still feels it's too soon to feel confident that I'll land on my feet (not everyone is willing to pay real money for design).  At any rate, it's nice to see that somehow my porfolio is getting out into the world and people are responding to what I'm doing, because I love this work and still feel incredibly lucky I get to create art for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment