Friday, January 29

BedstuyBlizzard

I woke up yesterday with big, fat snowflakes falling to cover the neglected toys that sit between my window and the back fence.  It might sound silly, but snow gave me something to be excited about between waking up and the eventual rotten task of applying to jobs again for the third week in a row.


The snow was very pretty and put me in a proactive mood, which got me an interview at least.  Unfortunately, it was for an unpaid internship.  Fortunately, it was with The Onion News Network, one of the most popular satirical news sites among my generation.  My friends and I regularly send each other links to the ridiculous spoof videos and it would be fun to work with people who have a sense of humor.  I'm not sure how I felt about the interview this afternoon, though.  The footage director I'd be working for is probably two years older than I and it was hard to read whether she felt like we clicked or not.  I wouldn't be heart broken if the internship didn't work out since I'm in the market for good, solid, full-time work (that pays!) but I'll be sure to post an update here either way.
Truthfully, I may not have seemed very energetic during the interview thanks to a resurfacing headcold and a lack of sleep.  My friends and I hit up the Starlite Lounge last night for some good old-fashioned karaoke and potato chips.  
  
The Starlite Lounge is proud of the fact that it's the "Longest Black-Owned Open-Minded Bar" in the United States.  Last night, there was a film crew present because the lounge is being kicked out of the building it has occupied for 50 years to make way for a grocery store, and the people who care about the place aren't going down without a fight.  I for one hope the lounge stays open.  It's a pretty special place in our neighborhood for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that the bar tenders serve baskets of chips 'n dip up for free and keep them coming all night long.  The staff also regularly throws birthday parties for bar patrons and staff, inviting the entire neighborhood with their fantastically kitschy birthday party posters.  I attended one with my friend Bridget and we ate catered soul food and had a blast as Leviticus, the birthday boy, paraded through the lounge with his two shitzu dogs and a hand-made japanese kimono opera jacket.  Everytime my friends and I go there, we feel incredibly welcome, which is amazing because BedStuy isn't an easy community to break into as a newcomer.




Anyway, Karaoke at the Starlite is more than just free chips.  The regulars who sing there blow your metaphorical (or literal) socks off.  I've heard duets between a coulda-been Whitney Houston and a wanna-be Michael Bolton that made it impossible to throw my name into the queue.  But, Drew and Amanda sang a lovely rendition of Elvis Costello's "Alison" for our Allison; and Drew and I had an 80's dance party spectacular to a Bloodhound Gang song.




Of course, considering we had to follow the Dual Tina Turner act before us (singing AND dancing a choreographed version of Proud Mary!), I'm sure we only halfway bowled the crowd over.  But the Starlite Lounge's policy is to show love to all - so we got hefty applause.  


 < Tinas 1&2

All in all, it was a good way to get out, have fun, and put the job hunt off my mind for a few hours.  Tomorrow I'll be nose-to-the-grindstone to crank out an official website.  That'll have to be pitched in here too when it's ready.  Until then, proud mary's got to keep on turnin'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment