Monday, July 5

Baseball: A Spectator Sport


I went to a baseball game, and it wasn't my brother's little league.  It was the MaJoR LeAgUeS!

Hot dogs, crowd rallies, and Shake Shack.  I'm not usually into the spectating aspect of baseball, and I think everyone who knows me has heard me complain that I'd rather watch an amateur checkers tourney than sit through pitch-after-missed-pitch on a t.v. screen that occasionally cuts to reveal a dugout full of gruff looking guys spitting and grimacing.  BUT:  I had a great time at the Mets game out in Queens!  I'd even go back...and that's saying a lot. 

The game took place on a Thursday evening so hot the subway cars were dripping condensation.  The 7 Train takes fans all the way to the stadium and most of the commute is above ground, which means a pretty excellent view of the island is possible.   Tickets were $23.00 for general admission, and apparently the boast of Citi Field (formerly Shea Stadium) is that there's not a bad seat in the house.  

Standing in the line for Shake Shack (a famous New York establishment that has a web cam so patrons can check out the line in advance) took up four innings, but I didn't mind.  The last five were a blast: the crowd was pumped up on cracker jacks, and downtime during the game was filled with chanting and audience games.  Watching the sunset from the 5th mezzanine was pretty incredible too.  

Next on the list is a Yankees game, though to keep to tradition, I'll be rooting for whoever is playing 'em.  




1 comment:

  1. Never before have I heard "Take me out to the Ballgame" from this child of mine! Whoa, that great American pastime can be loads of fun! It is so good to see that smilin' face I miss so much. x0x0MOMx0x0

    ReplyDelete