The city's at its best when you can smell the ocean in the morning, sleep with your sheets on, and drink a hot tea anytime of day. Two weekends ago, I headed to Central Park with friends for the last 90-degree Sunday. Even though it was uncomfortably warm, people were wearing jackets and scarves because with the humidity gone, it almost felt like the start of fall around here, and because New Yorkers love the phrase, "Fake it 'til you make it."
 |
| park fog descends |
 |
| I need to stop trying to stand as tall as James, I never win at that. |
 |
| Picnic! (L > R: Sarah {Sam's friend}, Sam, Alyse, Maddy, and James) |
 |
| After the sun went down, New York actually did get chilly, so Maddy fashioned a blanket-dress. Stop the paparazzi! |
 |
| Steinway storefront in midtown |
So now, we really have made it into autumnly weather (I think that's safe to say, although I may have made up the word 'autumnly'), and my walk home from Wall Street last weekend was much more pleasant. I think I barely broke a sweat during the 5 mile trek.
 |
| Looking back towards the Williamsburg Bridge, my #1 route over the river! |
 |
| a forlorn luncheonette |

{Some snapshots from my neighborhood, where all good walks eventually come to their end.}
 |
| Children's Paradise window display. Oh, oh my. Oh my. |
 |
| Children's Paradise: perhaps the most comi-tragic scene in my neighborhood. |
 |
| Sign I'd most like to vandalize. I just think the nice ladies deserve some pants. On a related note, I'm pretty sure "Privilege" (which is a quasi-bar/club just up the street from my house) is a front for illegal operations of some sort. Perhaps BINGO gambling? |
 |
Nuevo Leon Restaurant is kitty-corner from my apartment, and I always wonder who would eat at an establishment that can neither be bothered to wash their windows, nor stop their sign from peeling. Not this girl. |
|
 |
| I AM 3 |
 |
| This is carved into our front door's glass, but I don't know how long it's been there or what it means. |
 |
| I think an enterprising neighbor is running a driver's ed course out of their Volvo. |
 |
| Food Bazaar! If they want help painting over the graffiti on their backside, they should call me. |
 |
| And finally, we end with the Garbage Train. A sight rarely seen during daylight, this mysterious beast arrives most often when you're desperate for a late night ride home. It is usually greeted with disappointed groans once people realize that isn't a "real" train pulling up at their station... |
Yay! Garbage train!
ReplyDelete