Saturday, November 24

Best Coast

Here are some snaps from my hookie session, in order and only vaguely explained because hiatuses don't need justified with words.  They just need to be enjoyed, right?

Mount Shasta, CA
































First stop:  Route 97, stretching from California up to Washington.  While it was no Pacific Coast Highway, it still had plenty of sights and fantastic roadtrip moments - including numerous Mountain Dew stops, campsites on frosty grounds, and the soundtrack of the year.  








Second Stop:  San Francisco.  CK treated me to my very first French Macaroons and introduced me to the best croissant in town, icecream spun-to-order by way of a machine that utilizes liquid nitrogen (it was nothing short of amazing), the Redwoods of Muir National Monument, the Golden Gate Bridge, all of the best parts of town, and the final installment of the Twilight Saga at a 21+ theatre with plenty of wine to add to the experience.  We had a great time, and were able to meet up with Brian and Megan for Chinese and drinks to catch up on all that they have going on.  I'm so happy my pals in California are living their dreams and eternally grateful that they're willing to show me around and (this one goes to CK) let me drive their car down Lombard street on hairpin turns.


Endless gourmet at CK's Ritz Restaruant.  Oysters and
Truffle and Apple Gelee, oh my!
CK's heart house
Muir Woods, just outside San Fran
big reds
stinky sealions at the pier



the bay

CK's Halfmoon Bay Ritz by night

macaroons!


Downtown San Fran decked out
Unspeakably good liquid nitrogen icecream


one of those Painted Ladies....
Action Shot!
Third Stop:  Los Angeles, again.  I made it back to LA in time for a quick business chat and then pulled on my best vintage MSU sweatshirt (the yellow one with blue glitter my sister picked up at a yardsale back when...) and headed to the Montana State vs. University of Montana satellite party.  It was raining, and the Montana alum from each side were packed into a tiny Mexican bar in Culver City.  I saw a lot of great old pals at the game, though many faces from my class were missing in action.  We never were much for group mentality...

Stars at The Grove
The Canyon

sushi surprise
I spent the next few days in LA hiking Runyon Canyon, making sushi, checking out a fantastic new bar called Sassafras in Hollywood (Peppercorns in a drink?  And it was good?  Yes and yes.), and hot tubbing at the apartment Alyse and Jeff found for themselves with major amenities.  There was talk of camping, but one of the members of that party ended up getting a last-minute job, so I'll just have to imagine it would've been similar to the roadtrip tenting I managed to fit in earlier.  The long and short of it:  I have truly great friends scattered all over the coasts and when I'm on one end of the U.S., I miss the people on the other end like clockwork, but that's just further proof that I have a lot to be thankful for, and no matter what comes of this hiatus and my perspective gathering, I'm a lucky girl and have great people in my corner.

some Cats
and one Griz buddying up to Lincoln




No comments:

Post a Comment